2017 Town Meeting
The 2017 Town meeting held on March 7, 2017 at Fellowship Hall was civil, very well attended and productive. The minutes will be available on the town website; also, Kyle Gray videotaped the proceedings. We will post links to those when available. The annual report is here.
1) The Greensboro Award was given to Janet Long, recognizing her many, many years of service to the Town and its institutions.
2) Kim Greaves was elected as Town Clerk, replacing Valdine Hall who is retiring from the post. Denise Stuart was elected as Town Treasurer, also replacing Valdine.
3) Peter Romans and Sean Thomson were re-elected to the Selectboard, serving 3 year terms. Mike LaPierre was elected to a two year term. They join Sue Wood and Judy Carpenter as members of the Select Board.
4) The FY 2017-18 Town Budget was passed as amended – $1,801,607, a 3% increase over 2016-17. The only amendment increased the proposed town grant to the Hardwick Area Food Shelf by $500 to $2500. There was a lengthy discussion of the $1500 budgeted request for funding the Grange renovation, which was approved.
5) The FY 2017-18 Greensboro School budget was passed as presented.
6) A discussion occurred about whether the day and time of Town Meeting should be changed. Some suggested that the current Tuesday morning (workday) meeting reduces the number of younger and working community members who can attend. Other choices were presented, including a Saturday morning meeting, an Australian ballot for Select Board elections, and an evening meeting. Some felt that the tradition of a Tuesday Town meeting was worth keeping. All agreed that a well attended Greensboro Town Meeting is a great benefit for the town and its residents. The Select Board welcomes input from all residents related to the timing of Town Meeting.
7) Several requests were made to clarify town employees salary and benefits by position in next years budget. Also, the Select Board will schedule one regular meeting each quarter at a venue in Greensboro Bend instead of at the Greensboro Town Hall.
8) A motion was approved to set the Property Tax Due Date to November 2, 2017 at 4pm. The Town is also instituting an electronic payment system, which will be available to tax payers with an additional fee.
9) A delicious lunch was again served by the Four Seasons of Early Learning! Thank you Four Seasons!
10) The Funky Fourth Celebration parade and fireworks are tentatively scheduled for Saturday, July 1, 2017.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!